Through a partnership with Microsoft, JA Worldwide is pleased to present the Microsoft Unlimited Potential (UP) technology curriculum. The UP curriculum was developed by Microsoft to provide young people with learning opportunities designed to make them more technologically competitive in today’s global society. The curriculum aims to help young people gain the critical 21st-century work readiness skills needed for today’s “knowledge economy.”
The UP curriculum goes beyond the traditional classroom experience. In fact, UP is available to any JA student, teacher, volunteer or staff member in the world—and it is offered in 21 different languages, from Arabic to English to Vietnamese.
It is self-taught and self-paced, providing the user with the opportunity to complete any or all of the eight modules at their own pace. Each UP course begins with basic concepts and builds quickly to more advanced skills and techniques. Practical hands-on tutorials enable the user to build their skills one step at a time. By studying with a task-based approach, users learn more than just the features of the software. The user learns how to accomplish real-world tasks so they can immediately increase their productivity using technology.
The UP curriculum also provides fundamental instruction on eight technology-related topics. While users require no prior experience, those who are already computer-literate also benefit from the curriculum by expanding their existing skills. The eight downloadable modules include:
- Computer Fundamentals. This course provides a solid foundation in basic computer concepts and the essentials of hardware, software, operating systems, the Internet and more.
- Digital Media. This course teaches how to get started with digital media, including digital photography, audio and video.
- Internet and the World Wide Web. This course teaches how to explore the Web, use search engines, work with email and create web pages.
- Web Design. This course teaches the complete process of webpage design, from the basics of HTML to strategies for designing and building a complete website.
- Word Processing. This course focuses on how to use a word processor to write a variety of documents, from simple letters and memos to complex documents containing graphs and tables.
- Presentation. This course teaches everything you need to know about putting together persuasive electronic presentations, from creating basic slide shows to adding graphics, video and audio for rich multimedia presentations.
- Database. This course introduces the basics of using a relational database to create tables, forms and reports.
- Spreadsheet. This course teaches the basics of spreadsheet concepts including creating worksheets, editing data, building charts and graphs, and publishing a spreadsheet to the Web. iBi