Again, our cocktail chemist Dustin Crawford has formulated a refreshment that is just the right fit for the month at hand:
A cocktail coming out of the dreary months with fresh rain and fresh flavors, this one sparkles off the tongue. Bright flavors of lime, mint, orange, grapefruit and cucumber bring this martini to mind as the sun peeks out from the clouds after a spring shower.
FIRST, THE TOOLS. You will need a cocktail shaker, measuring jigger, a hawthorne strainer, and a martini glass of your choice.
A slight prep to the glass requires a decent sprig of mint. Hold the mint in one open hand and give it a sharp clap with your other hand. This will bring the oils to the surface of the leaves without the acrid bitterness that muddling can cause. Wipe the leaves around the interior of your martini glass and discard.
NOW, THE INGREDIENTS. To the shaker add:
- 1 dash grapefruit bitters
- 2 dashes Peychaud’s bitters
- .5 oz. simple syrup
- .75 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. Aperol
- 1.5 oz. Hendrick’s gin
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake hard for 15 seconds. You will want to feel your fingers chill as the shaker frosts up. This is your cue that you are shaking well enough.
- Place your hawthorne strainer on your shaker and strain into your prepped martini glass.
- Garnish by floating a mint leaf on the surface of your cocktail and enjoy!
About our mixologist: Dustin Crawford is co-owner – with partner Kip Rodier – of the 33 Room in Peoria Heights. Prior to that, the U.S. Marine Corps veteran traveled the world before returning home to work his magic behind the bar at various central Illinois establishments, including 2 Chez.