Abby J. Clark is an attorney with Davis & Campbell, representing business owners, companies and nonprofit agencies in the areas of labor and employment law and general business disputes. She has represented clients in courts across the country, all the way up to the U.S. Supreme Court.
A native of Beardstown, Illinois, Clark attended the University of Illinois and went on to law school at Washington University in St. Louis, where she met her husband, Aaron. Prior to moving to Peoria, she clerked for an Illinois Appellate Court judge in the Chicago area and worked for Jenner & Block, a large national firm.
Among other leadership roles in the community, Clark chairs the Heart of Illinois United Way Board of Directors and is past president of the Junior League of Peoria—all while raising two children: Mollie, nine, and Grant, six. Amidst this busy schedule, she finds that time is her most treasured possession. “I’ve learned to invest only in things I’m passionate about, and to focus on moments and the people who make them so special,” she explains.
“Being an attorney’s not bad,” she adds, “but my favorite job is Mom.”
- What was your first job? I was a lifeguard at the Beardstown Park District Pool. Some of my fondest memories are from that job.
- Favorite vacation spot: How could I ever pick just one? My husband and I took a trip to Hawaii in 2015 that was absolutely fantastic—I was amazed at the different ways nature can be so stunning. Our kids love Big Cedar Lodge in Branson, where we head every summer. And I can’t leave off Captiva Island, where my extended family gathers every few years. Those memories are ones I treasure.
- Favorite artist: Vincent van Gogh. The Starry Night and Café Terrace at Night are magical. I’ve always loved central Illinois artist George Colin’s pastel works as well.
- Favorite film: Pretty Woman. Isn’t that everyone’s favorite film?
- Last novel read: The last novel that kept me up all night was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo—I can specifically remember being up at 2am unable to stop reading. Gone Girl falls into that category, too.
- Which talent would you most like to have? I wish I was more artistic. Even my stick people look like they’re ill.
- What are your quirky habits? My husband would tell you that I’m a prolific list maker—like even a list of the lists.
- What’s one of the worst tasting things you’ve ever eaten? Knowing there are people who eat hard-boiled eggs and olives makes me concerned for the future of humanity. There’s something wrong with those people.
- What song always makes you happy when you hear it? This is obviously anything by Bon Jovi.
- What would you do with a million dollars? Give it to the United Way Community Impact Fund, of course! PM