Our mission is to save lives by meeting the most critical needs in our communities and investing in breakthrough research to prevent and cure breast cancer.
Our vision is a world without breast cancer.
Susan G. Komen® is the breast cancer organization of choice for organizations and individuals looking to make a significant impact in the fight against breast cancer. Because of your commitment to making an impact in this fight for over 35 years, Susan G. Komen Memorial can provide financial & social support to breast cancer survivors and individuals living with metastatic breast cancer through:
- The 2020 COVID Relief Fund that allows our local health partners to share Komen funds to individuals facing hardships due to the pandemic.
- Komen Café—a survivor support and friendship group for all breast cancer survivors in central Illinois. This group meets (virtually) on the third Thursdays of each month from 5:30pm-7:00pm.
- Circle of Promise Peoria—the Peoria Minority Health Advisory Board works together to address health disparities through education, barrier reduction and survivor support.
The unique combination of science, education and direct help to people facing breast cancer helped lead to a 40% decline in mortality from 1989 to 2017. Komen is focusing on the following—and MORE—locally and beyond:
Delivering Needed Care
- Collaborates with community partners to remove barriers to breast care, improving healthcare quality and achieving health equity.
- Staffs a free national breast care helpline with information about financial/psychosocial support, clinical trials and more.
Taking Action through Advocacy
Through the Center for Public Policy, Komen:
- Mobilizes 370,000 advocates to be the voices for the 3.8 million breast cancer survivors and people living with the disease.
- Fights for the more than 11 million uninsured women and men, who if diagnosed with breast cancer, are 60% more likely to die because of limited access to care.
Discovering Breakthroughs Through Research
Komen is leading research efforts to:
- Search for ways to detect recurrence and stop the spread of metastatic breast cancer throughout the body. Seventy percent of our research funding is focused on metastatic breast cancer.
- Understand and end differences in outcomes among people of color and other at-risk populations.
This spring, Komen Memorial will be announcing its three-year commitment to funding a metastatic breast cancer research project right here in Illinois. Stay tuned for details.
How to Help
Donate, FUNdraise, partner and advocate—we have many opportunities for you to support the mission initiatives of Susan G. Komen. To discuss these opportunities and learn more, please call (309) 691-6906.
Susan G. Komen Central Illinois – Memorial
900 Main Street
Peoria, IL 61602
Join our Facebook groups: Komen Memorial MORE THAN PINK Walk Series, Circle of Promise Peoria, and Komen Café (for breast cancer survivors).
Gayle Young, Executive Director
Jordan Clum, Development Manager
Katie Cox, Development Manager