A Publication of WTVP

Across the Country…

Travel and tourism is a $740 billion industry in the United States.

It ranks fifth among 20 major private industry sectors, behind only retail, manufacturing, health and administrative sectors.

Most U.S. travel is for leisure purposes (74%). Travel for business accounts for the remaining one-quarter of domestic trip activity (26%).

Despite a 17-percent decline in overseas travel to the U.S., international travelers overall spent more in the country than U.S. travelers spent while traveling abroad, creating a “travel trade surplus” for the American economy of $8.3 billion.

Source: Travel Industry Association of America,

In the State of Illinois…

Source: 2007 Economic Impact of Illinois Tourism,

Largest Tourist Attractions in the Chicago Area


  1. Navy Pier
  2. Millennium Park
  3. Chicago Trolley & Double Decker Co.
  4. Lincoln Park Zoo
  5. Six Flags Great America
  6. Brookfield Zoo
  7. Sears Tower Skydeck
  8. John Hancock Observatory


  1. John G. Shedd Aquarium
  2. Museum of Science of Industry
  3. Art Institute of Chicago
  4. Field Museum
  5. Chicago Cultural Center
  6. Chicago Children’s Museum
  7. Chicago Botanic Garden
  8. Morton Arboretum
  9. Chicago Architecture Foundation
  10. Adler Planetarium and Astronomy
  11. Kohl Children’s Museum Inc.
  12. DuPage Children’s Museum
  13. Museum of Contemporary Art
  14. Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum
  15. Chicago History Museum

Source: Crain’s Chicago Business