Founded in 2006, Venveo is a Virginia-based digital marketing agency specializing in the building materials industry. In 2015 the firm released its first-ever survey focused on DIY consumers, and it recently completed a follow-up survey with over 850 DIYers from around the country. Here are some of the trends they cite:
- DIYers value quality and they’re not afraid to spend more for it, so long as they understand the costs. Seventy-one percent say that quality is more important than price, while two thirds say they create a budget and stick to it. Respondents often choose to DIY so they can spend more on the product and less on labor.
- DIYers are comprised of all age groups, led by ages 31-40 (26%), 21-30 (24%) and 51-60 (19%).
- The vast majority of DIYers start their project by researching online (78%). Nine out of 10 watch how-to videos on YouTube during an actual project, while 41 percent use Pinterest to find ideas for their next project. Eighty percent of DIYers use their phone to research projects.
- Brand loyalty hardly exists anymore. Just one percent of respondents say they research a project based on brand alone, while 63 percent don’t care about the brand at all.
- 65% of DIYers are willing to pay more for sustainably sourced materials—especially if there’s a story to tell alongside the product.
While some trends were surprising and others were obvious, here’s the biggest takeaway of all: the DIY movement continues to grow at a very rapid clip. Check out the complete report at venveo.com. PM