Enthusiasm for business in Peoria is never more evident than in two Peoria Area Chamber activities. Two of our most well-received events include the recognition of outstanding small businesses at the annual meeting, and the busy annual business trade show—the Area Business Connection.
Once each year the Chamber gives businesses the opportunity to reward excellence among us. Nominations are now being taken for three prestigious business awards. Presented at the annual meeting in May, the Chamber will recognize the following: Outstanding Small Business, 25 employees or less; Outstanding Small Business, 26 to 150 employees; and present the Athena Award—Business Professional Woman of the Year.
Small Business Awards Criteria
- The business must be a member of the Peoria Area Chamber of Commerce.
- The business must fit one of the two categories listed above.
- The business must have demonstrated integrity and ethics in business dealings.
- The business should have a track record of growth in sales and/or job creation and have been in operation in the tri-County area for at least five years.
- The nominee cannot be a division/subsidiary of a large company, defined as employing more than 150 people.
- The company should also be involved in community activities that support the Peoria area.
Athena Awards Criteria
- Demonstrate support of professional women and work unselfishly on their behalf.
- Demonstrate excellence in business or profession.
- Provide valuable service to their business, profession and the community.
- Exhibit initiative and creativity enhancing both their business or profession and the stability and improvement of the community.
Self-nominations are encouraged. After all, businesses should be proud of their achievements. Nomination forms are available from the Chamber of Commerce. Nominations for the Athena Award are due April 19. Nominations for Outstanding Small Business are due April 25.
The Chamber’s trade show, the Area Business Connection, is the largest business-to-business trade expo downstate. More than 160 businesses will be exhibiting and the show presents a unique opportunity for smaller businesses to view a wide array of services and products available locally and to distribute their own business cards to exhibitors.
The show opens with a Business After Hours from 5 to 8 p.m., March 19, for Chamber members, exhibitors and their guests. March 20, the show opens with a power breakfast. IBI