Subscribe

A Publication of WTVP

Community

Setting goals the SMART way

I love setting goals. I always look forward to New Year’s Eve. As much as I enjoy counting down the...

The Latest

Be like Lincoln

Each year, some of the top students from across Peoria County are recognized for exhibiting the traits of character, conduct...

‘The Peoria Watch’

It wasn’t just any company.Indeed, the Peoria Watch Company became “the story of success and failure followed by success and...
out & about typography

Out & About April 2023

Black and Blue Ball, Easterseals Central Illinois Friday, February 3, 2023 Peoria Civic CenterPhotos  (Credit: Sara Gardner Photography)[caption id="attachment_38152" align="aligncenter"...
Andelos Demetrious designs

The Demetriou Plan

Of all the redevelopment blueprints commissioned by the City of Peoria over the last half century, one stands alone as...

The New Normal

At its simplest and most functional, Normal’s Uptown Circle resolves a troublesome intersection of streets in the town’s historic business...
out & about typography

Out & About March 2023

Peoria Public Schools 8th Annual 365 Breakfast January 12, 2023 The funds raised from the Breakfast go to Peoria Public Schools'...
out & about typography

Out & About February 2023

Click on photos to enlarge Grand Opening of the Bloomington/Normal Minority Business Development Center November 30, 2022 Over 60 organizations...
Illinois River at sunset

Peoria, ‘shiny’ enough for me

I’m a 20-something now making a life in Peoria. A born-and-raised Peorian, I'm one of those prodigal children who returned...

What’s in a name?

Gregory Wilson, former Peoria Public Schools Board president, says the names of schools should reflect the values of the students...
Green Bandana

New in campus fashion

In a few months, Olivia Wright is to graduate from the University of Iowa. The senior from Metamora is to...
Galesburg Scene

All Aboard for Galesburg

Galesburg is a railroad town. Evidence of the city’s proud railroading heritage is everywhere.School sports teams have names like the...

Out & About January 2023

Click on photos to enlarge East Peoria Festival of Lights paradeNovember 24, 2022East Peoria Children are “lit up” for The...
Ottawa cityscape and river view

Opportunistic Ottawa

Ottawa has been called one of the “10 small towns in Illinois that offer nothing but peace and quiet.”   ...
Peoria on map

Carry it With You

I left central Illinois in a five-seat hatchback packed to the brim with everything I could carry, and a few...
A statue on campus of Lydia Moss Bradley

Peoria’s most influential woman ever?

Some 125 years since Lydia Moss Bradley established her Bradley University, the school continues to cultivate seeds of knowledge in...
On the Scene, Central Illinois

On the Scene, Central Illinois

Click on photos to enlarge Peoria Art Guild Fine Art FairSeptember 24-25, 2022 Riverfront Festival Park A crowd attends the...
Pekin Mayor Mark Luft at the corner of South Fourth Street, and Court Street.

Progress and Promise in Pekin

Legend has it that Pekin was named for Peking (now Beijing), the capital of China. It’s an appealing but apocryphal...
Dirksen, Michael, LaHood

Role models of leadership

Some of the most prominent public servants central Illinois has sent to the national stage have left footprints for future...
On May 1, 1909, piers broke under the Lower Free Bridge (also known as the Franklin Street Bridge), causing much of the span to tumble into the Illinois River. Photo courtesy of the Special Collections Center, Bradley University Library

Rickety, Risky Bridges

Click on photos to enlarge Peoria is known for its good fortune in having a multitude of sturdy bridges. But...
Search